I know it’s only the 13th of December, and usually people write a nostalgic blog post around the end of the month. But today I’ve had my first ‘quiet’ day for a long while, and whilst out doing my Christmas card rounds, I got in conversation with someone who said how far I’d come in the past few months.
I didn’t really think I’d done anything all that special, but then I thought back to all the things I’ve learnt, new skills I’ve picked up and realised that I’m maybe being a bit hard on myself and not giving myself enough credit. I’m very good at doubting myself and being very hard on myself (it’s something I need to work on).
So here goes the list of achievements for 2016, something positive to look back on and remember I’m not so bad after all…
- Lambed my first flock of sheep.
- Diagnosed a ewe with grass staggers before it was too late, and saved her.
- Passed my trailer test.
- Did my first trip to market with calves, and continue to.
- Fixed my scraper tractor when dad wasn’t around to help.
- Rolled my first fields.
- Bought my first beef calf.
- Finished my first two lambs.
- Sold two lambs worth of meat.
- I learnt how to plough a field properly.
- I can now feed out on the Keenan on my own.
- I got my first agricultural job.
- I learnt how to classify Beef Shorthorns.
- Bought my first rams for the flock.
- Ran a dairy farm solo.
- Learnt how to mix additive for the maize.
- Successfully backed a grass trailer round a corner.
- Made friends from Twitter, into ‘real-life’, meet them in person, friends.
- Flew to Portugal solo.
- Enrolled onto Entrepreneurs in Dairying.
- Gave blood.
- Learnt that it’s okay to not be okay.
- Realised that sometimes just recognising you’re not okay and talking about it is the best thing you can do for yourself.
I know to most people these seem like normal things to know how to do, but you have to start somewhere and recognise that you’ve progressed from where you started out.
So here’s to you 2016, you’ve been a bastard and a best friend rolled into one. And I hope that 2017 brings some exciting new adventures with it and this time next year I’ll have another list of achievements to look back on!
Have a wonderful Christmas, and I hope you have a wonderful 2017! I’ll leave you with these…